Cookies are a popular thing to make over the holidays. But you can’t forget to make some for your dog too! We found this recipe for Candy Cane Dog Treats at Pet Coupon Savings and made some for Mia and Bella. They really enjoyed these homemade dog treats! Check out how they are made using the recipe from Pet Coupon Savings:
Homemade Candy Cane Dog Treats Ingredients:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs (set one aside for egg wash)
- 1 tsp. Peppermint oil
- red food coloring (optional)
Homemade Candy Cane Dog Treats Instructions:
- Whisk all your wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients, one at a time, stirring between each addition to incorporate.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, make a well in one half and add the peppermint and food coloring-working it in and adding food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Place both dough rolls back into bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cover a cookie sheet in foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. (I didn’t line mine with foil and they still turned out ok)
- Whisk egg for wash in a small bowl.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, break each dough color up into an equal number of pieces- about a Tbsp. or so in size-depending on the size of the recipient.
- Roll each ball into a small snake-like shape.
- Work on a long sheet of wax paper creating candy canes to prevent sticking- dough will still be somewhat sticky and that is normal. (I worked on a cutting board for this part. I was not sure about how these were going to turn out because they are sticky but like said, it is normal.)
- Twist one of each color together and bend the end to create a hook shape.
- Place your “Candy Cane” on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Brush each with egg wash.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container (or go ahead and have your dogs enjoy!)
This is perfect to make your dog and give as a gift! My dogs really enjoyed them! We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday!
Subscribe To Our Weekly Emails